Due to a scheduling situation at the surgery center, my hip replacement surgery has been moved up a day to Monday, 1/27/20 at 9:00 am (7:00 am check-in). Which is fine by me. I’m ready to have it done and get on the road to recovery. I would have already had it taken care of, but I had to wait 90 days after the guided steroid injection in my hip last October.

So surgery in nine days. And guess what? (Another surprise …) Medicare now considers hip and knee replacement surgery as outpatient. Meaning that they’re planning on discharging me to go home the next morning. I was in the hospital for three days for the first one, and two days for each of the shoulders and the knee. Apparently there are some new techniques that make this feasible. At first, I was in total disbelief. But the fact of the matter is, you get no rest at the hospital, so I’m coming around to this getting home early is a good idea. At least at home I’ll have control of my recovery efforts — sleep, exercise, diet, medication — and that’s a good thing. I’ll also have in-home physical therapy and potentially some other medical support, so I should be good.

I went in for my pre-op testing and things look great. In fact, my metabolic labs (glucose, cholesterol, liver enzymes, etc.) and even my weight look better than they have in some time. With the holidays and stress, I haven’t been good about diet or exercise, so the only thing I can contribute this to is being off my RA meds (after my allergic reaction to Remicade in November). As I said in my earlier post, I’m not sure the meds have actually helped. Now it looks like there might have been some unforeseen side effects. But at least I’m healthy going into surgery.

I actually saw my rheumy earlier this week for my regular checkup. She’s at a bit of a loss of what to do with me since I’m basically out of options for treatment. It doesn’t matter because I can’t start anything new until after surgery anyway. She has suggested that we do an MRI of the sacroiliac joint to confirm/deny an AS diagnosis, but I’m waiting until after the surgery.

She has come up with a brilliant idea. She’s asking my surgeon to send my hip (and related stuff) to pathology to see what’s really going on with my joints — specifically to see if there is any inflammation or infection. We’ll see (1) if it gets done and/or (2) what it shows. (I’ve had a number of bits and parts removed — four previous joints, tonsils, gall bladder, etc., and I always wondered what happened to them and if I’d be put back together in the afterlife like some giant reverse Operation game.)

In the meantime, I’m just trying to muddle through and get ready as best I can with meals, meds, books on my Kindle, etc. It’s getting increasingly tough to do much. The hip limits a lot of my movements. I need help getting dressed, getting in and out of the car — most things. Bending down to pick something up is beyond me. But I have lots of assistive devices — like my husband — to help. I also have things like my cane and my grabber sticks. Some days (and nights) are easier than others. I will just be glad to get the surgery done and start getting better.

I appreciate the fact that you took time to read all the way down to here. You’re the best! Thanks for checking in.