So last week and this have been filled with doctors. As posted earlier, I have a good bill of health from my neurosurgeon who did my recent back surgery and also had a fairly rewarding conversation with my PCP’s PA about weight loss.
I had a regular follow-up with the orthopedic surgeon who did my hip and knee replacements. The good news is he says both replacements are looking great, which is really positive news considering the hip replacement is now seven years old. Most joint replacements need revisions or replacing after 10-12 years so I’m encouraged. The bad news is that he’s making noises that we might be replacing the right knee sooner rather than later.😦
Today I had my regular rheumatologist’s appointment. With the surgery and trying to get caught up with stuff at work, I really haven’t had time to think about it. I’ve just been taking my Actemra once a week and going on about my business. I told her that taking the Actemra injection was like taking a 5 mg or 10 mg prednisone tablet. It helped for a day or two, but then wore off. She has suggested that we try to get the insurance to approve Actemra infusions where she can modify the dosage to see if we can’t get a better result. She also wants to be a bit more aggressive with pain management so she has prescribed some hydrocodone. At this point, it’s just one tablet at night to help me sleep. I’m really not much of a fan of hydrocodone but I keep having doctors insist on prescribing it for me. I should be grateful. There are a lot of people who really need it that, because of the new regulations, are having trouble obtaining it.
I got my lab results back prior to my rheumy appointment and they, for the most part, looked good. All my labs have always looked great. The one result that was out of line was one of my liver enzymes (again). But it was just slightly high and is probably because I’m still on Lyrica after the surgery to help with some diminishing but continued numbness in my right thigh.
The big news is that I formally gave my notice to my company effective mid-November. I am in the midst of a major project and I don’t want to leave them hanging, so I’m going to wrap that up before I leave. One of the benefits offered at the company is disability insurance (both short-term and long-term), so I have applied for benefits. If awarded, I will receive a large percentage of my current salary up until my full retirement age. I’m not sure what they’ll say about RA being a pre-existing condition, etc. but I guess we’ll see. So in the midst of everything else, I’ve been scrambling trying to get my doctors to fill out the (really stupid) forms and get them in so we can get a determination. I never really actually thought I’d be retiring early due to health reasons — I more kept the insurance so I’d have income during surgery recovery if I needed it. But the point is I’ve been paying the premiums all this time so there’s no reason not to apply for the benefits. All they can say is no and I already have that.
The good news is that I discussed this decision with all my doctors that I’ve seen recently and they fully support my decision to step out of the corporate world. That’s a bit sobering. It’s almost like I’m seeing myself through their eyes for the first time. Not one of them said anything like, “Are you sure you’re ready for that?” In fact one of them said they have been amazed that I’ve worked for as long as I have.
Of course this will play havoc with my insurance. I’ll be covered by company insurance in November. Then in December, I’ll still be covered, but I’ll be paying for it through COBRA. Then in January, I’ll still be on COBRA, but they’re switching insurance companies. Am I nervous making three major changes in my insurance coverage in three months? You bet.
In other news, Dallas is set for a major rain event. We had enough rain in May that a significant part of our area finally came out of the five-year drought we’ve been enduring. But it’s barely rained since. In fact, October, which is one of our wettest months, has not logged more than a trace of rain all month. With highs in the 80’s and 90’s, it might as well be early summer. But all this sunny weather has lulled me into a false sense of security. Rain and stormy weather on the other hand, send my joints into a tail spin. So with four days and 3″ to 6″ of rain in the forecast, I may be glad that I’ve got that new prescription for pain medication.
Overall none of this is really bad news and some of it is actually quite good. I think I’m just tired with dealing with it all. I’m tired of not feeling well. I can’t remember the last time I actually felt good. I’m tired of the stupid back brace and I’ve got two more months to go on my three-month sentence. I’m tired of doctors and needles and insurance claims. The thing that keeps me going at the moment that this time next month, much of this will behind me. I’ll be officially “retired”, the determination on the infused Actemra will be in, and the determination of the disability will be in. My biggest problem should be finding something new to whine about.
Thanks so much for “listening” to me whine and thanks for checking in.